About the role
At T101 we write software that powers a network of over 550,000 members and allows gay men to find, connect and interact with each other. At peak times we have around 60,000 concurrent members online globally across 3 platforms, which brings its own unique set of technical challenges.
We’re currently working on a green fields re-architecture and redesign of our flagship product, including a transition to microservices and containers on the back-end, Angular PWA on the web front end, and Swift UI on iOS.
We are a small team (6 people and growing); fun-loving, friendly, supportive, highly productive, quality and results-oriented. We are seeking exceptional developers who are truly passionate about technology and the software development process.
You’ll be responsible for assisting the back-end team in shaping the back-end microservices as well as assisting the web front-end team. You’ll also be responsible for helping to refine the architecture, API and coding standards, and maintaining the high quality our customers have come to expect from us.
You’ll do this by caring about your work, being meticulous when testing your own code before sending it for peer review and you’ll be firm but fair when reviewing the work of others in the team. Like all of us, you’ll strive for self-improvement and will be provided with access to training resources as well as afforded time to view them.
Skills and Requirements
Required Technical Skills
- Strong experience building web-based applications using C#, .NET Framework and/or .NET Core on the back-end
- Experience using a JSON RESTful API
- Relational database knowledge (queries, indexes, stored procedures etc)
- Experience with source control systems, preferably Git
- Strong debugging, troubleshooting, testing and peer reviewing skills
- Knowledge and understanding of common attack vectors (e.g. SQLi, XXS)
- Familiarity with using public cloud services such as GCP or AWS
- Experience using containers
- Familiarity with cloud-native and/or microservice architecture
- Experience with recent versions of .NET Core
- Object-oriented programming fundamentals and experience with common OO design patterns
- Experience developing responsive websites
- Experience using Angular
- Experience in Agile/SCRUM environments
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines
- Experience of automated testing, unit testing and Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Localisation experience
- Previous experience using JIRA
- Experience writing secure code
- At least 3 years’ commercial development experience, preferably predominantly focused on C# NET.
- Experience working within a team, collaborating with and mentoring other team members.
- Commercial experience developing websites that work equally well on a high resolution desktop screen as on a mobile screen.
- You are passionate about software development and love .NET. You have an insatiable curiosity and a desire to continuously and iteratively improve. You keep up to date with the .NET community (blogs, pod/web-casts).
- You have a passion for crafting beautiful, simple, maintainable, well documented and tested code that scales to tens of thousands of concurrent users.
- You get satisfaction out of leaving the code base better than it was and are experienced in refactoring and incremental improvements.
- You are quick to pick up new work, switch between tasks and refocus as priorities change.
- Your solid task-management skills allow you to keep track of your work and see it through to release without requiring micro-management.
- You have a strong sense of responsibility and commitment to drive your own work. You see your code through development, testing and on to live deployment. You care about the success of your development and proactively monitor for issues and fix defects after release.
- You are focused and attentive to detail and have strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- You are friendly, have great communication skills and enjoy working with a small, highly productive team. You enjoy discussions and collaboratively arriving at the optimal solution.
- You are smart, eager, humble and open-minded. You are receptive to feedback from your peers and have equal willingness to learn and teach.
What’s it like to work in the development team at T101?
- Like you, we take pride in shipping high quality software and we understand that quality takes time.
- The development team has a strong emphasis on collaboration, problem solving and getting things right, yet we’re supportive when things go wrong.
- We all enjoy our jobs and care very deeply about growing as individuals, as a team and as a business.
- The management team is very approachable and works very closely with the developers and we are fortunate to have the very unique opportunity of guiding the business on technological solutions and systems we implement to satisfy the business objectives.
- There’s a fun, relaxed atmosphere at our great office in Islington, London located between Angel and Old Street with plenty of space, casual environment, comfy chairs, complimentary soft drinks, coffee, tea and fruit. There’s no waiting around impatiently for cranky old hardware either – we have powerful development machines with SSD hard drives and dual monitors.
- We follow an Agile iterative development process and short delivery iterations.
- We are dedicated to keeping up with the latest technologies, practices, patterns and tools related to software development. We take time out to share our knowledge with one another and improve both our skills and our development environment.
- We are open to new technology and often experiment with, and integrate new tools into our environment. Some of the tools and technologies we’re currently using are: Swift, ASP.NET Framework 4.6 (C#), .NET Core 2.x, Visual Studio, GitHub, SQL Server, MySQL, Aurora, Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, RESTful web services, Angular, Less, NUnit, Moq, Responsive web design and AWS cloud services and hosting.
- We have an automated build process that allows us to deploy changes to all of our testing environments and prepare live builds with one click. The automated build server also builds the solution after every code change and alerts us when the build fails.
- You’ll have the satisfaction you get from knowing that your work is being appreciated by hundreds of thousands of users and you will also learn creative ways to solve problems related to scaling to accommodate such a large user base on a system where there is a high and increasing amount of online interaction.
- Privacy and security is vital to us, given the nature of the data we hold for our members, and regulations such as the EU GDPR and the PCI DSS. We follow Privacy by Design and Security by Design principles.
- Salary in the range of £45-£55K depending on experience
- Performance-based bonus and salary review every April
- Private health cover
- Group life insurance
- Cycle to work scheme
- 20 days holiday as standard
- Option to buy up to 6 additional holiday days per year
- Up to 3 additional days’ holiday awarded upon long service